THIS SCENE WAS LITERALLY THE TEXTBOOK DEFINITION
The hashtag by theblueboxonbakerstreet: NAILED IT.
The fact that everyone is drawing attention to it is what’s making it gratuitous. Tumblr people take every single instance that’s even remotely “socially unjust” and completely warps it into something it’s not.
That and, it’s very clear, that all the people who complain about instances like this obviously don’t know how to cinematic business works. They assume that every single decision going into the movie is in the director’s hands, when ultimately, it’s the production company that has the final say what has to be in the movie. The movie industry is exactly that: an industry. Production company corporate heads are no different than ones to say, an oil company. They want money. They see what will generate the most viewers for a movie (such as sexual promiscuity) and demand it in a movie. The movie industry is an industry. Don’t blame a director for having a corporate hag breathing down their neck threatening to pull the plug at any moment.
Remember two weeks ago when Benedict Cumberbatch said that a shirtless scene with him in it was cut, and everyone bitched because they wanted to see it? How in any way shape or form is this any different? People got genuinely MAD that they couldn’t see Benedict Cumberbatch shirtless, and yet everyone is up in arms because Alice Eve got to be? If women truly are supposed to be equal to men, then there shouldn’t be any discrepancy between who’s allowed to be shirtless and who’s not.
Also, Alice Eve commented in an interview saying that she was excited to show off her body in the film. She said that she worked extremely hard for it, and was pleased to have people be able to see it.
Stop turning minuscule details that don’t even serve the main point of a project into things that they are not. By focusing on the seemingly “socially unjust” aspects of a picture, it proves that you are not grasping the true point of the film, and are in fact creating sexism and racism and any other isms by applying them to situations where they are truly not present.
THANK YOU JESUS YES THANK YOU SOCIAL BLOGGERS JUST STOP
wow, if you want a definition of ‘missed the point’ read the above comments. The scene was gratuitous, it added nothing to the plot or her character, it was sexualization for the sake of sexualization, it’s sexist and that’s the end of it. One of the writers has even come out and apologized because when questioned he could just not justify the scene. Also stop telling people when they should or should not be offended by something that’s sexist, that is super, super shitty, just because it’s not big loud overt sexism does not mean it does not exist, this was a clear example of ingrained social sexism. Also people are allowed to call out parts of shows/films/whatever that are sexist, it makes you look really awful when you defend things like this just because you liked the film, i loved the film, this was still really sexist
-edit also the fact they took cumberbatch’s shirtless scene and left this one in is pretty indicative of exactly what they were trying to achieve.
(Source: shitroughdrafts, via iggyperrish)
and while we’re at it
idk if this is me being irrational but if someone is like generally pretty awful to fat people and never outright states it but basically like is fatphobic and stuff (bear in mind i am fat- or if not fat, then definitely chubby) then its not totally awful to think that maybe your own friends might not want to be their friend?
LIKE I AM FAT TO THEM
AND THEY ARE FATPHOBIC
AND ITS JUST KIND OF HURTFUL THAT YOU’RE STILL FRIENDS WITH THEM
BECAUSE ITS KIND OF LIKE YOU VALUE THEIR FRIENDSHIP OVER MINE
WHICH MIGHT BE TRUE AND IF IT IS THEN I ACCEPT THAT BUT DONT PRETEND TO BE MY FRIEND THEN
BECAUSE YOU ARE FRIENDS WITH SOMEONE WHO THINKS LESS OF ME BECAUSE OF MY WEIGHT
BUT ITS STILL THERE.
anyway that is what i was trying to say.
also psa: eating issues are not solely confined to those who are skinny. I used to have pretty bad cycles of binging then just not eating. and then i got to a period where i over ate constantly because i wanted to be fat so that no one would love me, because that’s what my boyfriend wanted. which is fucked up all on its own but I WAS NEVER SKINNY AS A RESULT OF MY EATING ISSUES. I PUT ON WEIGHT, IN THE END.
im just upset and im sorry for this dumb text post nevermind
I read this article and it just
it made me realise i’m not really sure how much of my ~sexual stuff~ is because of daniel and how much is like, genuinely the stuff i like.
because maybe i’m not submissive and i don’t like being tied up or dominated and maybe none of that is anything except what i was forced to like. maybe if that hadn’t all happened i’d still know who i was as a person.
because basically after i broke up with him i had to relearn how to talk to people. especially boys, but even just to my friends. and the next guy i dated was nice but i was his first kiss and then idk everything just happened the way it did with daniel because i didn’t know how to do anything else and neither did he. i didn’t know how to say no and intellectually i knew that i should stop him but i just..couldn’t. i didnt want him to touch me but i smiled and kissed him and it wasn’t his fault but i still felt fucking filthy afterwards.
I just don’t know how much of me is actually me and how much is what he made me. Its been over two years and i still havent recovered and i just want it to be over but i feel like it won’t be over for a long time. why did he have to take away this too? i mean, really, you sexually assault me and then you psychologically torture me until you literally become the person who constructs my reality? and then you decide you might as well go ahead and destroy my sense of self and bodily autonomy i fucking hate you HOW MANY TIMES DID YOU THREATEN SUICIDE AND I SHOULD HAVE REALISED WHEN YOU CUT YOURSELF ON WEBCAM TO MAKE ME FORGIVE YOU THAT IT WAS NOT GOING TO BE A HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP. I SHOULD HAVE REALISED WHEN I CRIED AND YOU KEPT FUCKING GOING. why couldn’t i have.
my therapist asked me what i would do to daniel if i could and i said I’d lock him in a box, total sensory deprivation. and leave him there until he screamed. HA THIS IS GETTING DARK okay
i will just leave this here and probably delete this tomorrow for now i don’t fucking care IF YOU ARE AT MY SCHOOL AND READING THIS I DONT CARE HE ACTUALLY MADE ME SUICIDAL AND HE VIOLATED ME IN ALMOST EVERY WAY SO PLEASE ALLOW ME THIS RANT THATS ALL I ASK SOMETIMES IT GETS TOO LOUD INSIDE MY HEAD AND I REMEMBER AND THEN I HAVE TO WRITE IT DOWN OR IT GETS WORSE OKAY
I’m sad so I’m wearing my new lipstick and listening to Fiona Apple and also probably overthinking my sexuality
LAYER ONE: THE OUTSIDE
- Name: Hannah
- Eye Color: Brown
- Hair Style/Color: About shoulder length (though I prefer it shorter) and I guess dark brown bc the black dye is fading
- Height: 163cm
- Clothing style: shiny skirts and clunky shoes and stockings
- Best physical feature: I like my..eyebrows?
LAYER TWO: THE INSIDE
- Your fears: insects. people pulling out my teeth. clowns.
- Your guilty pleasure: THE SUGABABES and avril lavigne also every bad tv show ever made
- Ambitions for the future: writer? artist? who knows
LAYER THREE: THOUGHTS
- Your first thoughts waking up: NO
- What you think about most: the future and loneliness and who i am
- What you think about before bed: ..the future and loneliness and who i am! wow i sound fun
- You think your best quality is: i’m good at remembering useless facts
LAYER FOUR: WHAT’S BETTER?
- Single or group dates: single
- To be loved or respected: why would someone love me without respecting me
- Beauty or brains: do not care as long as i like them
- Dogs or cats: CATS FOREVER
LAYER FIVE: DO YOU?
- Lie: Yep
- Believe in yourself: not sure anymore
- Believe in love: yep
- Want someone: yes
LAYER SIX: EVER?
- Been on stage: once or twice DID NOT GO WELL
- Done drugs: I had weed this one time then ate an entire bag of nachos. Also I’m on prozac and lorazepam but that’s prescribed.
- Changed who you were to fit in: Yes. Like pretty much everything at some point? SO LIKE WHO AM I REALLY
LAYER SEVEN: FAVORITES
- Favorite colour: Can’t choose
- Favorite animal: Can’t choose
- Favorite movie: The movies I consistently rewatch are Bring it On: All or Nothing and DOA: Dead or Alive
- Favorite game: Mass Effect?
LAYER EIGHT: AGE
- Your next birthday will be on: January 25th 2014
- How old will you be: 17
- Age you lost your virginity: Haven’t yet
- Does age matter: I think the older you get the less it matters? But considering I’m 16, dating someone considerably older would be kind of fucked up.
LAYER NINE: IN A BOY OR GIRL
- Best personality: sarcastic, cynical cat-lover who is also v. funny
- Best eye color: Green
- Best hair color: Honestly don’t care.
- Best thing to do with a partner: Watch movies together, camping (this is totally imaginary i have never gone camping with anyone other than family), sitting somewhere while it’s raining, playing with makeup, drinking games.
LAYER TEN: FINISH THE SENTENCE
- I love: i have been looking at this for a worryingly long time
- I feel: sad
- I hide: scars and anxiety
- I miss: twelve year old me
- I wish: that I could get all A*s for IGCSEs and AS-levels
(Source: languidcrow, via ohbutwhatarewords)
if i sing around you i am 150% comfortable with you because i fucking hate my singing voice
(Source: whoisjohnocallaghan, via yourhomebro)